Tambopata Tours Macaw Clay Lick Center 5 Days /4 Night
Several lodges on the lower Tambopata take tourists to a parrot clay lick in the early morning. These exposed banks of clay on the river edge attract hundreds of parrots, parakeets, and small macaws. Observations normally take place from a blind, where people wait while dawn breaks around them, and parrots start streaming in from kilometers around. Once enough parakeets have built up in the trees of the area, and they are sure that they have scoured the area well for potential predators, such as ocelots, raptors and snakes, they start to work their way in and feast.
- Type of service: Private or Group
- Length: 5 Days/4 Nights
- Location: Southern Peru, Madre de Dios Department, Puerto Maldonado, Tambopata National Reserve
- Activities: Tambopata Tours Macaw Clay-licks of Colorado and Chuncho, daily and night walking, fishing, camping
- Altitude: 183 – 250 m.a.s.l.
- Best time to visit: March – October
- Departure: Every day
- Minimum of participants: 2
- Maximum of participants: 10
- Price per person: USD
Short description of the Tambopata Tours Macaw Clay Lick of Chuncho & Colorado:
Tambopata National Reserve through the vegetation. There is a lot of nervous activity, with all the birds waiting for one brave individual to land on the clay surface first. Once this has happened, within minutes hundreds of birds descend onto the clay surface, turning it from red-brown to green.
Quick Itinerary of the Tambopata Tours Macaw Clay Lick of Chuncho & Colorado:
TOURS DAY 1: Puerto Maldonado ,Transfer , Lunch ,Infierno native community, Boat River Tambopata , Lodge Chuncho ,Dinner ,Night Walk,
TOURS DAY 2: Chuncho Lodge ,Breafast, Travel Boat 6 Hours river Tambopata , Lunch , Camping River Tambopatata ,Night Walk
TOURS DAY 3: 5 am Macaw Clay Lick Chuncho , Breakfast ,Return to Lodge ,Lunch , Walk , Night Caiman ,
TOURS DAY 4: 5 AM Macaw Clay Lick Chuncho , Breakfast ,Trips in Canoe , Night Walk T
TOURS DAY 5: Chuncho Lodge , Breakfast , Return by Boat to Commmunity Infierno Port , Bus Back to City Puerto Maldonado 45 Minute , Transfer to airport.
DAY 1: PUERTO MALDONADO, TAMBOPATA TOURS, RIVER, CHUNCHO LODGE
We pick you up from the airport/coach terminal of Puerto Maldonado to take you first to our office where you can leave your things unnecessary for the trip, but you must take a backpack for your personal belongings.
Then, you get on our private vehicle to take you for an hour ride following a dirt road watching changeable nature along the way such as diverse forest types, traditional farms cultivating bananas and citruses, cattle farms, streams, etc.
Then, we get to the Native Community of Infierno where the port of Puerto Nuevo is situated. We board a motorboat there and navigate for about 2 hours observing wildlife around the river banks, especially birds such as herons, a jabiru, a macaw, a kingfisher as well as some mammals, e.g. a capybara and a tapir. We can also spot white caimans and turtles resting on the banks. Then, we get to our lodge called Chuncho Lodge where we accommodate ourselves, have lunch and a short rest as well.
The lodge is located on the banks of the river, in the beginning of the Tambopata National Reserve, which is rich in fauna and flora; that we explore just after the rest. So we are given an opportunity to see a lizard or a colourful butterfly, birds such as a quail, a toucan or a wild turkey as well as thousand year old trees such as almendrillos (Diptery Odorata; reaching up to 50 metres), chiguaguacos or lapunas! For dinner, we return to the lodge.
Optional: A night walk in a company of our Tour Guide who shows us some nocturnal animals, for example, nocturnal monkeys, frogs or insect.
DAY 2: CHUNCHO LODGE, TAMBOPATA TOURS MACAW CLAY LICK OF COLORADO, CAMPSITE
We start our today´s expedition very early in the morning heading for the very heart of the Tambopata National Reserve – Collpa Colorado (collpa means clay-lick). So we sail upstream the Tambopata River for six hours.
During the ride, we can admire the intensive and genuine wildlife of the rainforest´s reserve! Upon arrival to the Colorado clay-lick, we set a campsite there as tonight is dedicated to macaw and other animal observation! The clay-lick is a reddish earthy cliff containing clay and veins of mineral salts helping to digest to various animals, mostly macaws and parrots so that they come in flocks every morning to eat this nutritional source. We spend the night in the campsite.
DAY 3: TAMBOPTA TOURS MACAW CLAY LICK OF COLORADO, MACAW CLAY LICK OF CHUNCHO, CAMPSITE
We wake up at 5 am to walk to a viewpoint at the clay-lick that enables us to better see this unique and unforgettable “show” full of colours and sounds! Flocks of macaws, parrots, parakeets and other animals come to eat between 5 am and 9 am.
When the show finishes, we get on our boat and sail downstream for 3 hours to get to another clay-lick – the famous Collpa de Chuncho! There, we set our next campsite and have lunch. Afterwards, we start an exploration walk around and we maybe do fishing as well. Overnight at the campsite.
DAY 4: TAMBOPATA TOURS MACAW CLAY LICK OF CHUNCHO, CHUNCHO LODGE
Another 5 am wake-up awaits us as we go to the Collpa de Chuncho to watch animals going to get some nutrition! Then, we return to the campsite and after a break and lunch, we board the boat again navigating downstream for 3 hours until we get back to the Chuncho Lodge.
Optional: A night caiman observation in the Tambopata River.
DAY 5: CHUNCHO LODGE, TAMBOPATA TOURS RIVER, PUERTO MALDONADO
We board a motorboat early after breakfast to take us back to Puerto Maldonado navigating upstream the Tampopata River. There, you pick up your belongings from the office to later transfer you either to the airport or the bus/coach terminal to take your connection.
End of service
You need to be vaccinated against Yellow Fever as well as to bring some anti-malaria tablets with you!!
Included in the Tambopata Tours Macaw Clay Lick of Chuncho & Colorado:
- A professional naturalist Tour Guide;
- Motorboat transportation:
- Private vehicle land transportation;
- A professional Cook,
- Meals: 4x breakfast, 4x lunch, 4x dinner and drinking water (Please note: vegetarian option upon request for no extra cost!);
- Accommodation: 2 nights in a lodge, 2 nights in a campsite;
- First aid kit, including a poison extractor, mosquito bite treatment and an antidote for a snake bite;
- Radio communications;
- Rubber boots.
Not included in the Tambopata Tours Macaw Clay Lick of Chuncho & Colorado:
- Entrance fee to the Tambopata National Reserve (65 Soles);
- Any flight nor airport departure taxes;
- Travel insurance;
- Breakfast on the first day and dinner on the last day;
- Tips to local staff.
What to take with you to the Tambopata Tours Macaw Clay Lick of Chuncho & Colorado:
- Mosquito repellent (DEET 35 recommended as a MINIMUM!!),
- Original passport,
- Small backpack,
- Long sleeved cotton shirts (preferably green coloured),
- Long cotton trousers,
- Cotton long socks (to be put into your trousers),
- Comfortable walking shoes,
- Sandals or light shoes,
- Rain gear (e.g. rain poncho),
- Sweater (for the beginning of the tour in Andes and the cloud forest only),
- Binoculars (we also rent it),
- Camera and its charger,
- Plastic bags to be used for clothes and a camera,
- A hat as a protection against the Sun or rain,
- Small towel,
- Toilet paper,
- Antibacterial gel,
- Sun cream,
- Flashlight (with spare bulb and batteries),
- A bottled water (1 litre as a minimum),
- Pocket money (Soles) to buy some beverages and souvenirs as well as to tip.
- Entrance fee to the Tambopata National Reserve (65 Soles);