PUERTO MALDONADO – MADRE DE DIOS
It is the capital of the region of Madre de Dios and is located on the banks of the river of the same name that extends for 95,000 km2. This river crosses the department completely and is important beacause it is the principal channel of communication and link with other rivers of the zone.It is perhaps the Amazonian city that is least developed in Peru and the most populated in the southern rainforest though its tourism infrastructure is very developed allowing visits from here to the National Reserve of Tambopata and Lake Sandoval.
TYPICAL DISHES PUERTO MALDONADO – MADRE DE DIOS:
- Patarasca: Fish in back sheet of cooked grilled bijao.
- Juanes: Hen Rice cooked with chicken meat wrapped in banana leaves to bath.
- Inchicapi: chestnut soup with chicken and rice.
- Sarapatela of motelo: Cooked in the same shell with grated banana.
- Uchangué: turtle egg with boiled green bananas.
- Tacacho: With jerky and spiced mashed banana.
- Mitayo: Smoked meat with roasted banana and / or boiled with chili darling of fish.
- Motelo Soup: The meat is parboiled in tortoise shell.
- Suri: Frito accompanied by boiled banana.
- Puchucuy: Species of led corn based tamale baked sweet.
- Munchague: Turtle eggs accompanied by boiled green bananas.
FOLKLORE IN PUERTO MALDONADO – MADRE DE DIOS:
Its typical dances in the Peruvian jungle , we have the following :
- Chacuycaza : Dance staging the tiger hunt , feared animal by the people of the tribe of the Sharanahua , these were devoured by this animal, so organized hunting this animal gave up gradually ending with this animal.
- The Warriors : Converted into dance by the ancients, remember to mark your confrontations with other tribes, their glories, their defeats etc. All his experiences
- made dance.
- The Yacumama : Tribute or ritual they do to the mother of the rivers, as for natives considered this animal was master of the waters.
- The chullachaqui : Traditional dance of the peoples of the Amazon, created by the spreading a belief indigenous peoples, is a man with foot deer and the other human , trying to catch him.
- The Ayahuasca Ritual that pays this possessor of wisdom plant and illusionism.
- The Tunche : This symbolized by the ancient dance and even current belief residents of our region in the protective forest spirit the Tunche, a soul roaming the face of the earth without heavenly forgiveness which frightens people with its terrifying whistle.
- Ritual Macumbero : Similar to other rituals, unlike its objective which It is the attraction of man to woman and vice versa.
MAIN TOURIST ATTRACTIONS IN PUERTO MALDONADO – MOTHER OF GOD:
1. Manu National Park:
This conservation area is located between the provinces of Paucartambo–The Convention of Cusco, and Manu – Fitzcarrald department of Madre de Dios, covers an area of 1,884,200 hectares. Bioregions of covers: Selva Baja, High Forest, High Andes and Puna, the largest being the low jungle with an impenetrable jungle. In correspondence with this geographic reality variations also operate in the formation of the forest, so, for example, in the first named floors can see fruits and colorful flowers and trees up to 60 meters high.
The Manu National Park contains a wide variety of animal species, 860 bird species exist as the harpy eagle, macaw lick, lick parrot herons, etc.. cats such as jaguars, 13 species of monkeys, bats, otters, black and white lizards, taricaya. In addition, the Manu National Park is inhabited today by 30 rural communities and various Amazonian native populations.
2 National Shrine of the pampas of Heat.:
This conservation unit comprises a total of 102 109 hectares extending into the border republic of Bolivia. It was created especially for the safety and preservation of the marsh deer in its only habitat in the entire territory of Peru; also for the conservation of flora and fauna of the area belonging to the Heath River. In the latter consideration was preferred with respect to the maned wolf (Chysocyon brachiuyus), the biggest canine in South America, living alone among the grasses of the pampas ..
3. Reserved Zone Tambopata Tours:
This covers a total of1 400 000 hectares, from Puerto Maldonado, we arrive by boat (Tambopata River); or the Puerto Maldonado road – Cusco (kilometer 30). Arriving appreciate: the enormous biodiversity and habitats of each ecosystem, representing native flora and fauna with 165 species and 41 families of trees, 103 species of mammals, 1300 species
of butterflies and 90 species of amphibians.
Also exist: jaguars, capybaras, peccaries, monkeys, turtles, alligators, otters (otter). Also, where the river Tambopata and La Torre (60Km. Puerto Maldonado) bind, is the center of the reserved area (since 1977) to preserve the ecology. The population ‘Esse’eja‘ or ‘Huarayos’ which are native Amazonians occupy the reserve, along with Quechua and Aymara; engaged in agriculture (coffee), hunting, fishing and gathering.
4 Waterfall Baltimore – Puerto Maldonado.:
It is located 85 kilometers from Puerto Maldonado. To go there a motorboat addresses and navigating upstream the Tambopata River for 4 hours and 30 minutes. Besides observing bask in the scenery along the way at the end of this, it is interesting to contemplate how the river forming precipitate an impetuous cascade of three meters high and the rainy impresses mostly by increased that flow.
5 The Community of Palma Real – Mother of God.:
This is located on the right bank of the Madre de Dios River, 40 km from Puerto Maldonado and 2 hours of sailing motorboat, commonly known as “pequepeque”. The attractions of interest in this community are typical, slightly elevated houses on wooden studs to prevent moisture and vermin access, also are attractive those involving crafts arrows, bows, necklaces multicolored seeds and tissues based on vegetable fibers. The residents of this community are mostly known by the name of “Huarayos”.
6. Community of Miraflores – Puerto Maldonado:
It is located 50 kilometers from Puerto Maldonado, of which the top 40 must visit them by boat on the Heath river for about 2 hours. The natives of this community belong to the same family of Huarayos to those with very similar ethnic characteristics. However, it is possible to note that native miraflorinos hitherto kept the customs of their remote ancestors compared to Huarayos.
7. Community of Hell – Puerto Maldonado:
The distance between this community and Puerto Maldonado is 25 Km is covered in one hour and 25 minutes by boat sailing against the current of the river. On the way you can observe river towns such as Isuyana, Tambopata, Chontal and Cascajal. This group is dedicated preferably native agriculture, timber extraction and chestnut harvest, where demand is growing each time; Fishing is abundant in the rivers of the area.
8. Reserve Lake Sandoval – Puerto Maldonado – Madre de Dios:
Its origin is due to constriction of one of the meandering Madre de Dios River and is located on the right bank of this 8 km from the city of Puerto Maldonado. To reach this lake you must navigate motorboat for 25 minutes following the flow of the river, then walk through the trail that moves through the woods for about an hour and thirty minutes. On the way, visitors can observe a variety of plants such as orchids, platanillos, ungurahuis and homiceas, into the lake itself islet full of grass wetlands exist where the tree aguaje grow. As for wild animals, there are plenty of ducks, otters, alligators, wild hens, tapirs, toucans, macaws, turtles water as the turtles. This lake is usually sport fishing catch a variety of fish such as paiche measuring from 1 to 4 meters in length. There is a section of the lake where the temperature ranges between 20 ° C and 26 ° C, here visitors can enjoy a refreshing swim exercise safely.
9 Reserve Lake Valencia – Puerto Maldonado.:
It is located 60 kilometers from Puerto Maldonado downstream of the Madre de Dios River and the trip takes about 4 hours. The flora and fauna all over this lake are varied and so are tempting for curious visitors. The anglers found fertile ground to catch fish such as sea bass, dorado, Maiden, among others. Some restaurants in Puerto Maldonado have specialized in preparing exquisite dishes based on these fish.
10. Oxbow lake Tours Tambopata – Puerto Maldonado:
It is located on the left bank of the Tambopata River, 55 kilometers from Puerto Maldonado, a distance that is covered in 3 hours before you reach the lake you have to walk along a pedestrian stretch for about 30 minutes. The landscape around the lake is rewarding because it offers lush vegetation populated bird.
11. Pastora Lago Grande – Puerto Maldonado:
The route to the lake is formed by the combination of a dirt road, a dirt road and a short stretch of navigation on the Madre de Dios River, downstream from the mining port of Labyrinth. The total distance from Puerto Maldonado to the said lake is 65 km is covered in about 3 hours. In the lush flora of this area, highlight the palms, ungurahui, the watering, the cetico and rubber. As regards fauna, has herons, macaws, paujiles, partridges, turtles and other wildlife.
12. Tupac Amaru Lago – Puerto Maldonado:
It is 25 km from the city of Puerto Maldonado and comes back in a dirt road unpaved after a journey of about an hour. This lake is suitable for the practice of sport fishing in its waters because there is an abundance and variety of fish. On the other hand, the attractive landscape features of their surroundings appreciable amounts of lizards, charapas, monkeys, butterflies of different colors and business sizes